Private Northeastern Explorer Trip
This trip combines nature and cultural experiences, with the chance to stay overnight in a minority village. Our private trips have been carefully designed to offer a range of different experiences within a limited amount of time. Ranging from four to eight days, these itineraries are suitable for anyone with ...Read Full Description
- Cambodia; Kratie, Cambodia; Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Trip Length:
- 8 days
- Best Time to Go:
- Any time.
- Recommended for:
Infants (under 2)
Children (2 - 5)
Children (6 - 8)
Children (9 - 11)
Children (12 - 14)
Children (15 - 17)
Adults (18 - 20)
Adults (25 - 29)
Family Trip, Group Retreat, Trip Around the World
Detailed Trip Description
This trip combines nature and cultural experiences, with the chance to stay overnight in a minority village. Our private trips have been carefully designed to offer a range of different experiences within a limited amount of time. Ranging from four to eight days, these itineraries are suitable for anyone with a reasonable degree of fitness, including families with older children. Nature lovers and trekkers are spoiled for choice in this region. At certain times of year the plumage of the areas’ many feathered visitors will provide a riot of color. As a social enterprise we have good relations with the local voluntary organizations and can provide an insight or a more in-depth view into current issues, education and social welfare. Keen photographers will have hundreds, possibly thousands, of photo opportunities throughout the region: historic temples, crumbling colonial architecture, landscapes, nature, details and the constant warm smile of the local people.
Day 1 - Kratie
Depart for Kratie by 4WD.
Private Car Service
Depart for KRATIE by 4WD (around 5 hours, with a few short stops en route).
In the afternoon, travel by small private boat to see the rare freshwater dolphins in the Mekong River – the only place in Cambodia where they can be seen.
Overnight at a small local hotel.
Day 2 - Cambodia
Travel to Banlung, capital of Rattanakiri province.
Private Car Service
Travel by private 4WD to Banlung, capital of RATTANAKIRI province - this trip will take around 5 hours along an unsealed road. Along the way, you may well see some wildlife - this road sees hardly any cars and travels entirely through the countryside.
On arrival, check into a local eco-resort, small simple wooden lodges surrounded by forest.
In the afternoon, swim in the beautiful crater lake of Boeng Yeak Lom, with beautiful clear water , in the middle of the rainforest.
Day 3 - Cambodia
Tour Virachey National Park and Kreung (minority tribe) villages.
Travel by private 4WD through beautiful scenery to the Virachey National Park, passing a number of Kreung (minority tribe) villages built in the bamboo forest.
Travel by small private boat to some more remote villages (where you will eat a simple packed lunch - included), and walk back to the boat departure point (around two hours on fairly flat terrain) before returning back to Banlung.
Day 4 - Cambodia
"Off the beaten track" - trek for around 5 hours through the countryside.
Today, really get "off the beaten track" - trek for around 5 hours (fairly easy grade) through the countryside, passing through jungle and minority villages. A packed lunch is included, and late afternoon you will arrive in one of the villages where you will stay overnight.
Day 5 - Cambodia
Enjoy "jungle transport"- an Asian elephant - for a one-hour ride to the Kachang waterfall.
Pick up from the village by your 4WD and transfer to "jungle transport" - an Asian elephant - for a one-hour ride to the Kachang waterfall, where you can take a refreshing swim. In the afternoon, visit the stunning Cha Oung waterfall, where it is possible to walk behind the waterfall and the drop is so steep that the cascade of water dwarfs anybody standing under it. Return to your lodge in time to take a walk up to the hill to watch the sunset.
Day 6 - Kratie
Return to Kratie from Banlung.
Visit the Banlung market, which sells locally grown fruit.
Return by 4WD to KRATIE, where you will stay overnight.
Day 7 - Kratie
Visit the largest wat in Cambodia.
In the morning, visit the largest wat in Cambodia - complete with over 100 columns, it is a place of local pilgrimage and home to some very old monks. In the afternoon, travel by private boat to an island in the Mekong river, then walk for around 3km around its coast to see its flora and fauna (including some unexpected creatures!) and rural way of life. Return to Kratie town early evening.
Day 8 - Phnom Penh
Return to Phnom Penh and Fly back home.
Return to PHNOM PENH after breakfast, following a different route whch goes through the forest close to the Mekong River. On the way, see the pepper plantations and how bricks are made. Lunch will be at a small resturant on the way.
Arrival in PHNOM PENH mid-afternoon, in time to connect with an evening flight out (additional nights’ accomodation can be arranged for an additional charge)
Not the trip you were looking for?
Click here to find experts to book your trip (it's free!)
Submit Inquiry to Travel Specialist
Trips you may also be interested in
- Cambodia's Shrines and Shores 10 Days / 9 Nights
- Cambodia has gained great acclaim among tourists who wish to visit a place rich in ancient history and amazing temple architecture. Angkor Park near Siem Reap is home to over 100 such temples, most of which date back to a period covering the 9th to 13th centuries. Angkor Wat, Angkor ...
- Cambodia Heritage 5 Days / 4 Nights
- Visit one of the most stunning sites in the World: the ancient temples of Angkor. Spend four days exploring this beauty and grandeur of this UNESCO world heritage treasure. Head to Phomh Pehn, the capital, and enjoy the colonial charm of this former pearl of Asia. Wander wide, tree-lined boulevards ...
- Cambodia In Depth
- Visit the spectacular ancient temples of Angkor. Built in the golden age of the Khmer Empire, most visitors agree that Angkor is one of the world's most beautiful sights. The jungle has reclaimed the scattered temples to create magical unions of stone and nature. Allow yourself four days to fully ...
- Classic Indochina and Bangkok
- The Cultural Highlights of Classic Indochina and Bangkok tour includes the following activities: Vientiane: Pha That Luang (Great Sacred Reliquary or Great Stupa), the local market. Luang Prabang: Pak Ou Caves, National Museum, Phu Si, Mouhot’s Tomb Halong: Cruise Hanoi: One Pillar Pagaoda, Temple of Literature, Hoan Kiem Lake and ...