Considering what most airlines charge for luggage these days, travelers think twice about what they are packing. Most of us overpack, but in the end, we do not want to pay extra fees for additional or overweight bags. A few simple packing tips can save you the hassle and the money it costs to be an unwise packer. Get organized, and avoid unnecessary fees at the airport.
Here are a few tips for the next time you are packing for your trip:
1. Consider your destination's climate. It's a great idea to check the weather before you leave.
2. Plan each day's outfit rather than just throwing items into your suitcase.
3. Plan those outfits in a black or brown color scheme. This will save on shoes and even accessories you will need to pack.
4. Roll your clothes before putting them into your suitcase. This tip really saves on space, and it even saves on wrinkles!
5. Pack toiletries and other liquids in plastic baggies. It will save you from the mess of any leaks that may have occurred while in flight. Also, since the bags are clear, it will be easy to find things.
6. Split your clothes with your partner. For many years, I have put half my items in my husband’s suitcase and half of his in mine. At least you will have half of your clothes, should your luggage get lost.
7. Make sure you put all important travel documents, passports, cash, credit cards, jewelry and other valuables in your carry-on bag.
8. Add an extra outfit and swimsuit (if you are going somewhere tropical) to your carry-on. This may save you a shopping trip and money if your luggage happens to get delayed or lost.
9. Consider how long you are going to be gone when selecting your toiletries. You do not need full-size shampoo if you are only traveling for seven days.
10. Do not forget to visit your airline's website for additional details for both checked and carry-on luggage.
RELATED: Trip Tips