Adventures in Venezuela
If you want to see hundreds of bird species (over 300) and more than 50 mammals, go to Los Llanos (vast plains in the center of Venezuela). Stay in a ranch (hato) in Barinas and enjoy the wildlife, over 250 species. Then go to the Páramo, which is a high-altitude ...Read Full Description
- Caracas, Venezuela; Venezuela
- Trip Length:
- 13 days
- Price Range:
- From $2143 to $3172 (Tripology Discount 10% off Min. $500 Min. 2 Passengers) per person See what this includes and what this excludes
- Best Time to Go:
- Any time.
- Recommended for:
Adults (18 - 20)
Adults (21 - 24)
Adults (25 - 29)
Adults (30 - 39)
Adults (40 - 64)
Family Trip, Group Retreat, Spiritual Journey
Detailed Trip Description
If you want to see hundreds of bird species (over 300) and more than 50 mammals, go to Los Llanos (vast plains in the center of Venezuela). Stay in a ranch (hato) in Barinas and enjoy the wildlife, over 250 species. Then go to the Páramo, which is a high-altitude region with a neo-tropical ecosystem in the Andean Region of the country and delight with the drinks and cuisine of the villages. Visit the world’s longest and highest cable car that takes you from the Barinitas station (1577 meters) to Mirror Peak (Pico Espejo) at an altitude of 4,765 meters above sea level! Spend the best time bird and butterfly watching in Lake Maracaibo.
Day 1 - Caracas
Meet a Turpial Travel assistant at the Maiquetía airport in Caracas. Our assistant will welcome you to Venezuela, answer all your questions, and transfer you to your hotel. Overnight at a hotel.
Day 2 - Venezuela
Early in the morning take a flight to Barinas. Upon arrival, you will be transferred to one of the most spectacular Hatos (ranches) in the world! Between the airport of Barinas and the Hato, enjoy a 3-4 hour drive with our guide and marvel at the countryside. Overnight at a ranch.
Day 3 - Venezuela
Spend the following day taking an excursion to observe the wildlife at its best! At the ranch there are over 250 species of birds and nearly 50 species of mammals, including jaguars, pumas, ocelots, white-tailed deer, foxes, capybaras, red howler and capuchin monkeys, opossums, anteaters, and armadillos, and over 40 species of reptiles, including caimans, green iguanas, anacondas, turtles and red-footed tortoises. Overnight at a ranch.
Day 4 - Venezuela
Take a morning excursion at the ranch. Around noon, head to Santo Domingo with our guide. On the way, see the beauty of the Andean Region bound by Sierra Nevada and Sierra de la Culata. Overnight at an ex-monastery.
Day 5 - Venezuela
On the way to Merida, travel through the Andean Paramo. The paramo is a high-altitude region with a neotropical ecosystem. It is located between the upper forest line (about 3800 m altitude) and the permanent snow line (about 5000 m). The ecosystem consists of glacier formed valleys and plains with a large variety of lakes, peat bogs and wet grasslands intermingled with shrubs and forest patches. This neotropical ecosystem hosts about 5000 different plant species, where 60% of the species are native to the area. You will see tussock grasses, ground rosettes, dwarf shrubs, cushion plants, and conspicuous giant rosettes such as the Espeletia (frilejon) and Puya (in the family Bromeliaceae).
Day 6 - Venezuela
Visit the world’s longest and highest cable car that takes you from the Barinitas station (1577 meters) to Mirror Peak (Pico Espejo) at an altitude of 4,765 meters above sea level! From the cable car enjoy panoramic views of the beautiful city of Mérida, enclosed between mountains and peaks covered with snow. As you ascend in the cable car you will see detailed landscapes of Sierra La Culata, the Chama valley river, and the majestic Bolivar’s Peak (Pico Bolivar).
Day 7 - Venezuela
Leave Mérida in the morning and head to Lake Maracaibo for a bird and butterfly watching expedition. In the evening, take a night safari and observe the Catatumbo lightning – a mysterious semi-permanent lightning storm that occurs where the Catatumbo River meets Lake Maracaibo. The frequent, powerful flashes of lightning over this relatively small area are considered by some to be the world's largest single generator of tropospheric ozone. Overnight in Palafitos; sleep in hammocks.
Day 8 - Venezuela
After breakfast, continue to enjoy the landscape and wildlife of the Maracaibo region. After lunch, return to Merida City. Overnight at a hotel.
Day 9 - Venezuela
Take a morning flight from El Vigia airport to Caracas and then to Los Roques National Park. At the main island, there will be a travel assistant waiting for you. Our assistant will take you to an all inclusive guest house (posada). Rest, freshen up and take a short walk around the picturesque fishing village. Around 8:00 P.M., enjoy a wonderful dinner at the posada. Overnight at a posada.
Day 10 - Venezuela
Spend the day lying on a white sandy beach at your own private island key, reading a book or swimming in the turquoise blue waters. Overnight at a posada.
Day 11 - Venezuela
Another day at the spectacular archipelago. If you feel like snorkeling, diving, canoeing, kayaking, windsurfing or taking an ultra light aircraft flight over the keys, this can be arranged at an additional cost. Overnight at a posada.
Day 12 - Venezuela
Fly back to Caracas. Upon arrival, our travel assistant will be waiting for you to transfer to your hotel. Overnight at a hotel.
Day 13 - Venezuela
Our travel assistant will pick you up from your hotel and transfer you to the airport to take your flight home. END OF SERVICES.
Not the trip you were looking for?
Click here to find experts to book your trip (it's free!)
Submit Inquiry to Travel Specialist
Trips you may also be interested in
- Angel Falls and the Canaima Lagoon II
- Canaima National Park astonishes visitors with the drama of its spectacular landscapes and biological diversity. Its signature landmarks are the tepuis, unique rock formations that rise up out of the surroundings to create huge ecological islands punctured by waterfalls, including Angel Falls, the world’s tallest fall. The four day tour ...
- Paragliding Gran Sabana
- For fifteen minutes you will be suspended over the amazing “Lost World” of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This is a very safe trip because you will be using specialized equipments consisting of a glider powered by an ultra light engine that makes air traveling very stable... and quiet! Do not ...
- Orinoco Delta Expedition
- Visit the region of the “man with boat”, the Waraos, Indian group that inhabit the Orinoco Delta. They are hardworking and quiet people that cut delta waters with their “curiaras” (canoes). You will have a great opportunity to get a glimpse of the flora and fauna of the Delta traveling ...
- Morrocoy National Park
- You can have a wonderful time in the beaches of Morrocoy National Park. About 30 Cayos (keys) with isolated tropical beaches, shallow coral reefs and mangrove swamps. Take an excursion to Cayo Sombrero to enjoy palm trees, pure white sand and gorgeous swimming on the sea. The Cuare Nature Preserve ...