Essence of the Last Sangri-la
This tour will take you deep into the heart of Central Bhutan, till Bumthang valley. You will travel crossing the three high mountains passes: Dochula at 3100m, Pelela at 3300m and Yotongla, the highest at 3400m. Bumthang is the spiritual home of the Bhutanese people and is dotted with some ...Read Full Description
- Paro, Bhutan; Thimphu, Bhutan
- Trip Length:
- 10 days
- Price Range:
- From $170 to $200 (15% of Normal daily rate(us$ 200)) per person See what this includes and what this excludes
- Best Time to Go:
- January, February, March, April, May, June, September, October, November, December
- Recommended for:
Adults (18 - 20)
Adults (21 - 24)
Adults (25 - 29)
Adults (30 - 39)
Adults (40 - 64)
Spiritual Journey, Summer Vacation, Trip Around the World
Detailed Trip Description
This tour will take you deep into the heart of Central Bhutan, till Bumthang valley. You will travel crossing the three high mountains passes: Dochula at 3100m, Pelela at 3300m and Yotongla, the highest at 3400m. Bumthang is the spiritual home of the Bhutanese people and is dotted with some of the oldest historical monuments and sacred places in all of Bhutan, some dating back to the 7th century A.D, a period of which there is little modern knowledge. The tour highlights includes travel to Paro, Thimphu, Punakha, Wangdue and Trongsa and Bumthang. Besides it also includes a visit to the Gangtey valley,winter habitat of black-necked crane. This rare bird is an endangered species which migrates in winter from the plateau of Tibet and Siberia. The tour gives an insight to the unique culture and tradition of the Majestic Himalayan Kingdom.
Day 1 - Paro
Arrival at Paro, Drive to Thimphu,
The flight to Paro on Druk Air, is a befitting introduction to the spectacular beauty of the country. In clear weather, magnificent views of the world’s highest peaks, give way to the lush green Paro valley as you land. Your Bhutanese escort from Medieval Bhutan Tours will greet you on arrival, and then drive you to the Paro Rimpung Dzong, the centre of civil and religious authority in this region. After this we will have lunch in the Paro town. Then we will drive to Thimphu, the capital city of Bhutan. The drive will take about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Dinner and over night stay in the hotel, Thimphu.
Day 2 - Thimphu
Historical and Educational Tours
The day begins with a visit to the National Memorial Chorten built in honour of our late king Jigme Dorji Wangchuk. We then drive to the view point of Trashichhodzong, seat of the national government and the Central Monastic Body, including the summer residence of the Je Khenpo (Chief Abbot of Bhutan). and Folk Heritage museum.
Lunch will be served in the town. After lunch we will be visiting the Painting School where traditional art is still kept alive and finally visit the Handicrafts Emporium and shopping for souvenirs in the shops of Thimphu.
Evening at leisure.
Diner and over night stay at hotel, Thimphu.
Day 3 - On the Bus
Private Car Service
After our breakfast we will drive to Trongsa, through the Dochla Pass (3150m). It is very popular pass for viewing the eastern Himalayan mountain ranges on the clear days. The view is so great and spectacular. Then the road will descend to 1300m above sea level, Wangduephodrang valley. The vegetation is made up of rhododendron, magnolia bloom in early spring and through the subtropical and broadleaf forest. The drive will take about 6 – 7 hours.
Lunch will be served at the Chendebji Restaurant or Pack lunch.
Dinner and over night stay at hotel, Trongsa.
Not the trip you were looking for?
Click here to find experts to book your trip (it's free!)
Submit Inquiry to Travel Specialist
Trips you may also be interested in
- Essence of the Last Sangri-la
- This tour will take you deep into the heart of Central Bhutan, till Bumthang valley. You will travel crossing the three high mountains passes: Dochula at 3100m, Pelela at 3300m and Yotongla, the highest at 3400m. Bumthang is the spiritual home of the Bhutanese people and is dotted with some ...
- Crystal Water Rafting
- Rafting is not so popular in Bhutan. Some of our clients prefer to embark on this adventurous sport as a part of their cultural tour. Water sports in Bhutan is at its infancy stage, we combine rafting as a part of the tour package so that our clients can feel ...
- Druk Path Trek
- It is a beautiful trek passing through awe-inspiring mountains and vales. You will come across several lakes filled with trouts. This is a short five days trek which leads from paro to Thimphu or vice versa, crossing the chain of mountains that separates the two valleys. Although the route is ...
- Beautiful Laya Gasa Trek
- Picturesque farmland, alpine pasture, impressive peaks and numerous isolated Dzongs providing a great deal of cultural interests. Spectacular camp site, beneath some of Bhutan’s most impressive peaks, of which the most notable are Jhumolhari and Jichu Drake, are also the features of this trekking route. Numerous isolated Dzongs and scattered ...