UK-Jane Austen Garden Tour
In this marvelous program we combine everyone’s fascination with Jane Austen with some of the most beautiful scenery, exquisite villages and gardens in England. Follow in Jane Austen’s footsteps, walk where she has walked, stand where she must have stood, and tread where she has trod. See some of the ...Read Full Description
- Bath, United Kingdom; United Kingdom
- Trip Length:
- 7 days
- Best Time to Go:
May 15, 2010 to May 23, 2010
- Recommended for:
Adults (25 - 29)
Adults (30 - 39)
Adults (40 - 64)
Group Retreat, Spring Break, Weekend Getaway
Detailed Trip Description
In this marvelous program we combine everyone’s fascination with Jane Austen with some of the most beautiful scenery, exquisite villages and gardens in England. Follow in Jane Austen’s footsteps, walk where she has walked, stand where she must have stood, and tread where she has trod. See some of the incredible locations from the film versions of her novels, and just imagine… Explore and experience the countryside that inspired her to write Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park, Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice. Oxford Travel Guide and Trip Planner
Day 1 - United Kingdom
We start in Hampshire. Amidst this stunning countryside, Jane was inspired to create many of her characters, whilst experiencing 18th century society for the first 25 years of her life. In the pretty village of Chawton we visit Jane Austen’s House and Museum. This 17th century house is where she wrote and revised many of her novels and the bookcase contains first editions of some of them. In addition, the pretty garden has many varieties of plants and herbs common in the late 18th century.
Day 2 - Bath
Then to beautiful, Georgian Bath – a UNESCO World Heritage Site - which was home to Jane Austen from 1801 to 1806 after she moved from rural Hampshire to enjoy fashionable city life. Jane Austen set two of her six published novels, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, in Bath. Let the pages from her novels come to life as you visit their locations and discover more about her life in Bath. We will also visit the incredible Roman Baths, the magnificent 15th century Abbey and gardens in and around the city.
Day 3 - United Kingdom
We’ll visit Lacock, a wonderfully preserved village dating from the 13th century, which played the village of 'Meryton' in the BBC’s 'Pride and Prejudice'. Here the Bennet girls shopped for bonnets, sought the latest tittle-tattle from their Aunt Philips, and hoped to attract the attentions of the officers - in particular a certain Mr. Wickham. Lacock Abbey was also the location for films, Emma, Harry Potter, Pride and Prejudice, Cranford, The Other Boleyn Girl and Wolfman. And we’ll stop in Tetbury known for its 25 antique shops and home to Prince Charles’ Highgrove Shop (Highgrove, his home, is nearby.) The town is known as an 'architectural gem' as many of the wool merchants’ houses still look as they did 300 years ago.
Day 4 - United Kingdom
And on to the glorious Cotswolds. The Cotswold landscape is one of the most evocative in England. Gently rolling hills, secluded wooded valleys, clear running streams, picturesque, unspoilt, golden stone villages all paint a picture of timeless beauty. One typical village is Adlestrop where Jane Austen made several visits to stay with her uncle who was the Church rector. It is rumored that the house and grounds of Adlestrop Park were the setting for her novel Mansfield Park. The crowning glory of the Cotswolds is its gardens and we will visit some of the finest including Hidcote Manor, Waddesdon and more including several private gardens.
Day 5 - United Kingdom
As with all our personally escorted small group tours, many special features and lovely accommodations will be included. For this small group program, space is limited to 10 participants – call us to hold your place.
Note: For those wishing to visit the 2010 Chelsea Flower Show the following week, we can extend your stay with independent arrangements in London
Not the trip you were looking for?
Click here to find experts to book your trip (it's free!)
Submit Inquiry to Travel Specialist
Trips you may also be interested in
- European Family Discovery 13 days from London to Munich
- Start this amazing family vacation with a welcome dinner, then discover London on a traditional London double-decker bus. See the major sites like Big Ben beside the River Thames, Westminster Abbey, and Buckingham Palace. Enjoy a “flight” on the London Eye, the world’s tallest observation wheel with stunning views of ...
- UK-Jane Austen Garden Tour
- In this marvelous program we combine everyone’s fascination with Jane Austen with some of the most beautiful scenery, exquisite villages and gardens in England. Follow in Jane Austen’s footsteps, walk where she has walked, stand where she must have stood, and tread where she has trod. See some of the ...
- Sights And Sounds of Ireland
- Enjoy 12 Days Sights and Sounds of Ireland Escorted tour featuring sightseeing and many activities in Belfast, Blarney, Cliffs of Moher, Derry, Dublin, Glendalough, Killarney, Ring of Kerry and Waterford. Tour the whole of Ireland, seeing her vibrant cities and natural wonders.
- Scottish Highlands, Islands and Cities
- Enjoy 13 Days Scottish Highlands Islands and Cities Escorted tour featuring sightseeing and many activities in Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glamis Castle, Aberdeen, Scottish Highlands, Orkney Islands, Isle Of Skye, Loch Ness, Ballachulish, Glasgow and Iona.